Monday, March 05, 2007

Cheers to Numbers!!!




Disclaimer : All details mentioned in this article are true to the best of the author's knowledge, though, sometimes, the reader may feel that the author is lying!!!



I do not drive to office. On lucky days, my roommates drop me, else, I take an autorikshaw. Hence, I spend most of my travel time observing vehicle numbers, searching for some patterns or co-incidences. Glamourous movie posters do not interest me anymore. You start hating them when you actually go n watch those movies!! Nothing like I am a math whiz, but just on a lookout for interesting numbers to while away my travel time!!

(Time travel, rather than travel time would have made things different tho! ;) )

/* The beginning

I once saw a black pulsar - KA - 07 EQ 049. A7 was the code for my specialization in college(Computer Science) and 049 was my college id no! Why not search for my
roommates' id nos too ?

The End of the Beginning */

Sixteen days, all nos found!!!! 049, 063, 099, 084, 031. And in the process, I also encountered some nos like these - 9931, 8463 etc!!! Well, is there any way to calculate the probability of such an event?! Well, what is the sample space then?? I leave that to the reader as I already mentioned I am not a math whiz!!

I was amazed that I was able to find all these nos in sixteen days, jus by looking at car nos for 30 mts a day!! This interested me and I wanted to try more. So, this time, I chose squares. I guess it was one fine day in mid Feb that I noticed 8 square nos!!!! And once, I even came up with a couple of arithmetic progression triplets on the same day!!!!

These interesting patterns (or co-incidence if u want to call it) continues to amaze me...

N here's the best - Two cars, both black Hyundai Accents - with the following nos
KA 01 ** 1729
KA 01 ** 1729

(** - I remember having tried to recollect the 4 letters a thousand times in vain)

FYI - 1729 is called the Hardy Ramanujam number - The only no that can be expressed as the sum of 2 cubes in 2 different ways - 10 cube + 3 cube and 12 cube + 1 cube.

I still wonder why it dint strike me to take a picture of both cars standing together. Afterall, my mobile with a 1.3 mega pixel camera was there in my jeans pocket!! :( But, going by past experiences, I am sure I will get a chance to click the same cars together, if not something better!!

What is it that makes these vehicles come together to generate patterns? Is it just co-incidence? If yes, then why me? May be because I am the one who doesnt own a bike! Probably, when I own one, I wont have the time to notice all these as I would be busy concentrating on protecting my life from the extremely dangerous bangalore traffic.

Cheers to numbers, probability, and co-incidences!

3 Comments:

Blogger PremKumar said...

ohh woww ! unakulla ivlavu irukumnu nenachu koodam paakala da. I prefer to continue ur observations from now on ie I wont give u an OC ride from today !

9:05 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

Why me?
- Because you are on the lookout. You can always associate a number with a lot of things, as you say, in this case, some IDs. And Im sure apart from the IDs you have mentioned you have a lot more IDs to think abt. Almost all numbers from 1 to 1000. :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

daiii..sadha gokul...unakkula ivlo matter ozhinjittu irukradhu theriyave illa po...!!
i'm very much proud of u..!!!

and by the by...unmai-a sollu ..ithula ethana ponnunga number nee note panni avangalukku...sonna.. :)

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home